Monday 28 February 2011

Tetley's 21st

Yesterday it was my lovely boyfriend Tetley's 21st birthday.  Here is Tetley in his typical attire, if you want to find out more about him then visit his blog Betterccino, which mainly features plagiarism and otters; or his other blog, A Ramble into Territories Homer, which has Sherlock Holmes-eque stories involving our friend Homer's bumbling crime fighting experiences.


Tetley's whole birthday weekend was a great success, as well as being possibly the first sunny weekend of the year.  We woke up to the sun streaming through the curtains, and I made Tetley a special birthday breakfast.  It's becoming a tradition with us to have Buck's Fizz for breakfast on special occasions, I believe that it's nice to start the day as you mean to go on!


We spent the day with our friends and then had a party at night with a Masquerade theme.  We had planned to go to a Burlesque Masquerade night at a local club but it was too expensive for us poor students, so we had the theme for our flat party instead.  Tetley is getting worryingly fond of gambling (which I probably endorsed by buying him a set of Vegas poker chips for his birthday...) so we played some poker, and then drinking games as the night went on.  Laura also made Tetley an amazing 3D dinosaur cake, he was almost too cute to eat, and impressively constructed with matchmakers for a spine!


One of my fondest memories of birthday parties as a child was eating marshmallow top hats, so I was shocked to find out that Tetley, with his love of all things top hats, had never heard of them!  Maybe it's a Scottish thing?  I made some for him and stupidly forgot to take a picture, but here's one from Google images to prove that they are a thing that exists:


These are super tasty and literally only take 10 minutes to make.  All you have to do is break up a large chocolate bar into a glass bowl and melt the chocolate by putting the bowl on top of a pan of boiling water.  Then spoon the melted chocolate into cupcake cases, stick in the marshmallows and stick a Smartie or another colourful sweet on the top of each one with a little dot of chocolate.  Sadly mine were not as pretty as this picture as I apparently have no glass bowl, and melting chocolate straight in the pan doesn't make it turn out so smooth-looking and attractive...  They still tasted great, although we did eat them after several drinks so I feel that I am not the best person to comment on this!

Here are a couple of photos of some the amazing and creepy masks that people created for the party:







My mask is from Accessorize, I love it but part of me wished that I had made one of my own after seeing the boys' masks, home-made costumes are always my favourite.  I think a Masquerade theme is perfect for a student party as you can dress up as cheaply or as extravagantly as you want.  My 21st is in a couple of months, so I'm currently brainstorming some ideas for that - I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment