Friday 11 February 2011

Turkey Stroganoff

Looking over my blog, I've realised that a lot of my meals are tomato based or have tomato sauces - I know how to cook with tomatoes and I know what goes with them, so I tend to revert back to them maybe more than I should.  This week, I've decided to break free from my tomatoey comfort zone and increase my cooking repertoire, starting with this turkey stroganoff recipe that I found in an Asda magazine that my Mum gave me. I'd eaten stroganoff before at my job waitressing for weddings, as they often did a mushroom stroganoff for the vegetarian option. Believe it or not, you rapidly get sick of the usual wedding main course of chicken stuffed with haggis if you have to eat it every single day...  I'm pleased to say my stroganoff turned out as nice as my work's standards, so I was pretty proud!         
                    
 
 For the stroganoff you will need:
  • 1 turkey breast per person
  • 1 onion
  • 250g mushrooms (this is Asda's suggestion but I feel that weighing mushrooms is going too far, use however many you want)
  • 2 peppers
  • 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 150ml boiling water
  • 1 tbsp coarse grain mustard
  • 100g soured cream
  • 1 tbsp butter
1. Firstly, prepare all your ingredients.  Finely dice the onion, slice the mushrooms and peppers.  Always wash or wipe mushrooms before use as they tend to have dirt on them.  Cut the turkey into strips or cubes.

 2. Heat some sunflower oil in a large frying pan or wok and cook the onion until it is soft.  Add the butter and the mushrooms and cook until all the juices come out of the mushrooms and start bubbling, as in the picture.
 3. Add the peppers and cook over a high heat until the juices evaporate.  Tip all the vegetables into a bowl.

4. Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the turkey pieces for 3-4 minutes.  Do this in two batches if the turkey won't all fit properly in the pan.  Add the stock and mustard and simmer until the liquid has reduced,  Asda suggests this will take 5 minutes but it took more like 10 for me.  I apologise for the terrible quality of the photo of this stage, this is the only one I managed to take that wasn't entirely obscured by dramatic steam.
 5. Return the vegetables to the pan and give them a few minutes to reheat.  Stir in the soured cream and heat until it is gently bubbling.

This meal is perfect served with rice.  I feel that it would be nice with mashed potatoes too, but I eat potatoes with anything so I may be biased!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've only ever had turkey in mince form for turkey burgers, so I might give it a go one night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, I am going to do the turkey burger recipe soon! :)

    ReplyDelete