Wednesday 2 February 2011

Rolo Cupcakes

Every Monday, my friends and I have a movie night and we all take turns to bake for it, with results ranging from Laura's professional baking to Malik's "Lasagna Cake" which broke a large carving knife and smelt of marzipan and death.  However, this week it was my turn to bake, and in an attempt to use up some of my obscene amounts of leftover Christmas chocolate, I decided to make rolo cupcakes.  I found this recipe online, and while my cakes look nowhere near as pretty as Hannah's, they still tasted good!

 For the cake you will need:
  • 112g butter at room temperature
  • 112g caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 85g self-raising flour
  • 30g cocoa (I used Bournville, it gives the cake a nice dark colour)
  • 12 rolos (there are 10 in a packet so you'll have to buy 2)
For the frosting, you need:
  • 280g icing sugar
  • 125g butter at room temperature
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.  Cream together the butter and the sugar, then add the eggs one at a time and mix them in.  Add the flour and cocoa powder.

 2. Half fill the cupcake cases with the mixture, then place a rolo into the centre of each one.  Cover the rolos with the rest of the mixture.  Don't worry if you can still see them a little as the frosting will hide them.

 3. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cakes spring back when you touch them.  Mine all have dents in them from me checking if they were ready once too often, so try not to do this.

 4. When the cakes have cooled, make the frosting by mixing together the butter, icing sugar, milk and a few drops of vanilla essence.  Spread on top of the cakes - if you have a piping bag this will look a lot more pretty and professional but sadly I do not.  If you top the cakes with mini rolos and place them on a pretentious gold plate though hopefully no one will notice.

The cakes turned out very sweet so they're perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth.  Why not make them for Valentine's Day as a cakey variation on giving your loved one your last rolo?

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I will have to try to make them when I'm home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) Do you not have your baking supplies in Canada? I miss our awesome animal biscuits!

    ReplyDelete