Sunday 9 January 2011

Omelette

I'm going to begin with the first thing I ever learned to cook, an omelette.  In the summer before I went to uni, I went on a holiday to Portugal with some friends - we foolishly chose the cheaper self-catering package and then realised that none of us could cook.  After two of my friends tried to cook frozen peas in an oven that wasn't switched on, I felt it was up to me to take on the daunting role of chef.  We took a trip to our local Dinomart (possibly the best named supermarket ever) and ended up with eggs and bacon, which I managed to turn into a omelette-like creation of which I was ridiculously proud.  Omelettes are still one of my favourite things to cook today because they're so fast and so versatile, you can have basically anything as a filling!  For my omelette, you will need:

  • 2 eggs per person eating the omelette
  • milk
  • salt/pepper
  • fillings of your choice
1. First prepare your fillings.  I used bacon and some yellow pepper in my omelette, so first of all I cut them into bitesize pieces.

2. Next, crack two eggs into a bowl.  Add a splash of milk, salt and pepper and some parsley if you have any to make it look fancy. Beat with a fork.

 3. Heat some sunflower oil in a pan and add your fillings (if they're stuff that needs to be cooked).

 4. Meanwhile, heat some oil in another pan and pour in the egg mixture.  Keep tilting the pan so the top layer of the egg mixture runs to the edges and cooks.  Use a spatula around the edge of the omelette to stop it sticking to the pan.
 5. When you tilt the pan and no liquid runs to the edge, the omelette is cooked.  Tip your fillings onto one half and the fold the omelette over them with a spatula.  This is the stage where my omelettes usually break into many small pieces.

6. Lift the omelette out of the pan with the spatula.  I'm having mine with toast, but it's also great on a bagel or with chips and veg for an easy bigger meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment